Dec 7, 2009

Making meunier

 Meunier is the way to cook fish like this; put flour on fish, then saute it with butter on the frying pan. It's originally French dish.

 This is also common in Japan. This is called "MUNIERU", instead of its original French word. (So actually, I didn't know how difficult its spell is until I start blogging! ) I remembered that I learned this dish when I was a middle-school student, at the class of cooking. The school was not special one, was just a pubric school. Meunier was the first or the second dish that we've learned.
..It has been long time ago!

 I had thought Meunier is common in the world for a long time. But recently I've noticed that I don't hear about this so much here in USA...even though this is easy, tasty way to cook fish. So I'd like to show you  how I make Meunier.


Thaw and cut the fish. Salmon, Sole, Tilapia ...You can use your favorite.


Put salt and pepper. Only a little bit salt works well.


Put flour. Using net is convinient.


Put flour on all the sides of fish.


Heat oil. I use olive oil. Butter is nice for taste, too.


Remove excess flour and start to saute with medium heat.
I put skin side down first.


Turn out when they become lightly browned.


Turn and turn...


When it cooked thoroughly, done! To know cooked or not, push them with turner. If you feel harder, it cooked. Or just cut and see inside.


Done!



(Optional)
You can add some flavor on it. Squeezing lemon, Putting chopped herbs...as you like!
This time I squeezed lemon just after removed from pan. And,


some Dill.


Done.


ITADAKIMA-SU!
(This phrase express that you appreciate food, and cooker.)

2 comments:

  1. This is a great tutorial! Thank you for showing us so many steps. I know it takes time to do that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my pleasure! And hope all the guys who are interested in cooking meunier can enjoy cooking fish. :)

    ReplyDelete